Click here to see recipe listing or travel by country

Monday, November 3, 2014

Flour Tortillas

When I first moved here, I met a lovely lady who made the best tortillas I've ever eaten.  She promised to show me how to make them (in return for teaching her how to make my German Chocolate Pecan Pie).  It was a great evening and I learned her method and recipe for the tortillas.  Kind of.  Now, her 'recipe' consists of 'a little of this and a lot of this', etc.    Anyways, I have tried recreating the tortillas a few times and think I have a good replica of her tortillas.


2 cup flour 
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1  teaspoon salt
1 oz shortening
1/2 cup warm water 

Mix together and add warm water. Dough should not be sticky. Sometimes, you will need to add a little more water, depending on your flour.  Knead it for a few minutes. Cover the dough in a  light coating of shortening and rest for about 20-30 mins. Make golf ball size pieces of dough. Flatten and round slightly on bottom. 


Give them each a light coating shortening. Let them rest 10 mins. Dip the dough discs in flour (both sides fully covered) then roll out into thin circle. Stretch gently by hand afterwards. 

Heat over med heat in a cast iron skillet until a few bubbles form. Flip and repeat. 


Place inside clean kitchen towel to cool. If not eating immediately, place (kitchen towel wrapped) tortillas inside a plastic bag.


1 comment:

  1. Well done! Looks like my mom ones. She was from North of Mexico where they traditionaly meke this tortillas. I like making my own but I make my own "healthier" versión: changing for oil instead of shortening. It tastes the same but are not so soft, mine are more crispy. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Petitchef

All recipes are on Petitchef